Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wow! Long time, no post!!

It's been quite a busy couple of weeks and I've not been a-blogging in a while. Since the last post, lots has happened. I've watched God working in our lives in such amazing ways. We are now officially REAL HomeSchoolers. It's been really fun! Officially, we started on Tuesday. It's been an amazing 3 days of school. For the most part, the curriculum we're using for every subject is gospel/bible based. We're using an array of different curriculums and so far, it's working really well. God led me every step of the way. I was able to borrow teacher manuals, etc. (and some were even given to us) - that would have been the most expensive part. We managed to get by spending only about $100 on workbooks, etc. for everything for both kids!! I'm working on deciding what curriculum we'll be using next year. There are so many wonderful choices. One of the coolest things we're doing now is having the same course/curriculum with both kids for science, history, art, bible study and music. It's been so great to be able to snuggle up with both of them on the couch and read about history, etc. It was always really hard for Loegan when I would be reading a book to Malia and he really wanted to come and listen. Sometimes I would let him, but then he would have to work a lot longer to finish all of his work. Now, they help each other draw pictures, find the right colors, and cut and glue things in the right places. It's been so awesome!! So far, every day, we've gotten done earlier than we usually do, and I believe that the kids are getting much more out of it. Most importantly, the focus is on God, and giving Him all of the glory. For music we're going over the new songs we're singing in church this quarter, (thanks to Rob for letting me know what these songs are). This week we've been singing a really good song! I love it!! It's called I Have a Shelter. Click this link to hear it and other songs on this CD.

Thank you so much to Tara, Shawna and Sharon for all of your help and lending us/giving us so many wonderful things and giving us such great advice to help us in our journey. Tara put a really neat post about homeschooling a few weeks ago. Check it out! She pointed out some things that shouldn't be reasons we homeschool our children. It is so true and really great to remember these things. Thank you Tara for your wonderful posts, you always have amazing words to say.

1 comment:

tara said...

Oh Summer that's so encouraging to read! It's awesome to see your step of faith and how God meet you in all your decisions. And I love the precious fruit you shared about reading books together!

Glad I could help!